Enjoy your favorite camp classic from home!
We’ve put together the recipe for everyone’s favorite camp meal: tomato basil soup + grilled cheese. Read the instructions below and share your creations on social media tagging us or by submitting them to this dropbox folder! You can also send in images using the short form at the bottom of this page.
We can’t wait to see what you cook up!
Gather your ingredients:
1 YELLOW ONION — MINCED IN FOOD PROCESSOR
2 CARROTS — PEELED AND MINCED IN FOOD PROCESSOR
2 GARLIC CLOVES — MINCED IN FOOD PROCESSOR
EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
2 28oz. CANS WHOLE PEELED TOMATOES
1 1/2 CUPS VEGETABLES STOCK
1 HANDFUL FRESH BASIL — TORN
SALT AND PEPPER, TO TASTE
SLICES OF SANDWICH BREAD (WHITE OR WHEAT)
10 SLICES CHEDDAR CHEESE
10 SLICES HAVARTI CHEESE
2 STICKS UNSALTED BUTTER
- Place a stockpot over low-medium heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil is simmering, add the onions, carrots, and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent, stirring to prevent them for burning.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the whole plum tomatoes and vegetable stock to the pot. Use the immersion blender to blend the tomatoes and sweated aromatics to a smooth consistency.
- Return the soup base to the heat and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and basil. Again use the immersion blender to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and season, as needed, with salt and pepper.
Now the grilled cheese!
- Preheat oven to 425 F (high fan).
- Spread about 1 Tablespoon of butter on one side of each slice of bread. Arrange several slices of bread on an unlined sheet pan, butter side down. Please two slices of cheese (one cheddar and one havarti) on each slice of bread. Top with the remaining bread slices, butter side up.
- Bake until the bread is browned and the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes
- Grab your grilled cheese, dunk it in your soup and enjoy a piece of LLYC at home!